Penny.Thompson at uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 15 10:40:05 SAST 2017
Please can you post the following advertisement to the group?
The University of Cape Town seeks to appoint contract and permanent Senior Technical Specialists supporting Open Source systems and applications, and invites applicants to join the African Research Cloud. We're looking for applicants who are versatile, passionate and dedicated to technology and service provisioning. You can work independently, displaying initiative in a fast-paced and heterogeneous environment where your accomplishments lead directly to the success of your team and in support of campus administration, teaching and research at the institution.
Minimum qualifications and experience:
* Relevant tertiary qualification and relevant industry qualification
* Minimum 10 years' industry relevant experience
* Demonstrated experience in:-
o a lead project role
o providing technical leadership
* Advanced skill and proven experience in implementing and managing the following categories:-
o various *Nix Operating Systems, including SLES, RHEL, Ubuntu and MacOS
o Open Source Databases (one or more of the following - MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, MariaDB etc.)
o Web server technologies such as Apache, Tomcat, XML, GlassFish and Jetty
Experience with any of the following would be to your advantage:
* Experience with Single Sign-on/Federation technologies such as CAS, SimpleSamlPhP, ADFS or Shibboleth
* Proven experience implementing configuration management using (e.g.) Puppet, Chef, Saltstack, Nagios, CFEngine etc.
* Experience providing services for HPC within an academic environment
* Demonstrated experience implementing and managing complex file transfer and storage mechanisms, e.g. Ceph, Gluster, UDT and/or Hadoop
* Proven Experience administering systems and applications on virtualised platforms, including private/public cloud environments (Openstack, Eucalyptus, Amazon or Azure)
* Architecting and maintaining open source end-to-end systems
* Scripting or programming with Perl, PHP, Java, Python or Ruby on Rails
The total annual remuneration package is negotiable from R512522 to R817342, depending on the specific job appointment, based on experience and qualifications. Note that this is a total package, please see the UCT COE calculator at: http://www.uctweb.co.za/HRUct/ to model typical net salary.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to: icts-jobs at uct.ac.za<mailto:icts-jobs at uct.ac.za>
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and not considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 3012 Website: www.icts.uct.ac.za<http://www.icts.uct.ac.za>
Reference number: E70316 Closing date: 31 March 2017
Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This e-mail is subject to UCT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via csirt at uct.ac.za
More information about the clug-work