[Clug-work] clug-work Digest, Vol 49, Issue 2

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:03:18 SAST 2009

On Tuesday 07 July 2009 13:20:01 Andre Truter wrote:
> Geeks tend to prefer flexi time.  I don't think I have ever met a
> geek that keeps normal office hours.  Normal office hours just is not
> enough time if you are really into your work.

Our office lights run 24/7 for that very reason :-)

> Geeks generally run on caffeinated drinks, so mentioning lots of free
> coffee and even free caffeinated soda tend to draw the correct
> people.  (A previous employer had the kitchenettes stocked with lots
> of coffee and cola beverages.  That is until a big corporate bought
> them out and things went downhill a bit.  Lost a lot of good people)

Funny story: some dimwit on The Campus decided to add their small contribution
to overall cost saving by keeping the espresso machines and not buying Nescafe
Decaf in jars. The ladies in the project management area went ballistic and
three days later that cost saving measure was undone

> PS:  I pack lunch (even salads) and I do know a number of geeks that
> pack lunch, but a cafeteria is a good selling point.  You never know
> when you need a sudden boost of carbohydrates and caffeine.

Surely you mean that the wives of married male geeks pack lunch for their
husbands?

> PPS:  Another thing to mention is that a very strict dress code tend
> to make your chances of getting the good people smaller, although I
> know at least one serious geek that changed job and after that I have
> seen him in a tie. Might have been a special occasion, did not have
> time to ask him.

I never understood this thing about dress code. We are not customer facing.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com