[Clug-work] Java Developer for property joint venture
alex.wiid at iol.co.za
Wed Sep 3 15:54:05 SAST 2008
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Java Developer within a
new joint venture between two of SA's leading on and offline publishing and
media companies. This pivotal position touches on the product development,
up-keep and system administration aspect of the joint venture property
Reporting directly to the JV General Manager, you will be assigned both the
development (predominantly) and system admin responsibility for the
business. Offering stretch and challenge, this role will require you to do
In this role you will be required to participate across all phases of the
development lifecycle and in addition to development, we are looking for
someone who can be involved in the design and development of the projects.
You will be involved in ongoing and new projects, so you must be a strong
team player, but have the ability to work alone and unsupervised.
• Development of the website, its ancillary components(including an
administration system) and supporting systems and interfaces
• Embedded firmware development (mostly Linux shell based, some web
• Implementing quality code changes initiated by customers(support) or
product management (development).
• You will be responsible for all testing required to release the
functionality from unit to system testing as well as performance testing
• Maintaining servers
• Configuring new and existing servers at the application level
• Setting Up/Maintaining Security Policies
• Managing Internal Services (e.g. email)
• Fixing Desktop Support Related problems
• Configuring New Services on Desktop Machines
• Maintain Desktop Machines
This is an ideal opportunity to enter an exciting phase in the development
online Joint venture property business through a culture of driven and
passionate professionals in a highly charged and interesting environment.
To succeed in this role, the candidate will need to:
• Be an experience Java Developer with very good programming skills.
• Have the ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
• Able to communicate effectively.
• Have a strong commitment to quality of work and adherence to scheduled
• Ability to create application functionality from verbal instruction if
• Ability to identify new functionality
• Have the ability to communicate and work in English.
• Have an interested in online media and the property markets
• Be passionate about technology.
• Have an appreciation of and active interest in design and usability
considerations in web development
• Attention to detail
• B.Sc or equivalent tertiary education in computer science.
• 2 + years Java - professional experience
• Java, JSP, servlets
• Very strong relational database experience (MySQL)
• Apache webserver
• Tomcat 5
• Good understanding of programming fundamentals.
• Familiarity with open source software, development tools and environments
• Eclipse IDE
• Linux experience (incl shell scripting) advantageous.
• Thorough understanding of web fundamentals (HTTP protocol, cookies,
security principles and practices).
Status: Full-time. Permanent, with 3 months probation
Relevant Work Experience: 2+ years.
Province: Western Cape
Education level: Degree
City: Cape Town
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and Cover letter. No telephone calls
or unsolicited visitors will be accepted.
Email with IOL Property Java Developer in the subject line
alex.wiid at iol.co.za
Applications close 19th September 2008
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.6.15/1648 - Release Date: 2008/09/02
More information about the clug-work