[Clug-work] Assistant Linux Systems Administrator
cillier.burger at iol.co.za
Wed Feb 20 13:19:05 SAST 2008
Assistant Linux Systems Administrator
Cape Town CBD
R neg on qualifications and/or experience
Independent Online, a subsidiary of Independent Newspapers South Africa and
one of South Africa's largest online news providers is in need of a Linux
Systems administrator to compliment the current operations team.
IOL operates on a 100% LAMP environment for the online segment of the
business, along with a pure Linux Server environment for the office,
with a mixed set of Windows and Ubuntu Desktop users.
We are looking for a person with the following personal traits:
You love technology, but only to the extent that it doesn't negatively
any other facets of your agreeable, team player personality. You enjoy
finding the best solutions to existing and new problems, implementing them,
and standing up for what you believe is the right choice. You are able
argue your points. You love learning about new techniques, technologies and
methodologies, and expanding on your current knowledge.
You are able to prioritize, and still think rationally while under
If you feel that you may not be 100% up to scratch with the job specs, but
feel that you have significant knowledge and experience to allow
you to catch up pretty quick, and learn new skills, please don't
hesitate to submit your CV. This is a great opportunity to get into
a high load environment, and if you have the right mentality, we definitely
want to interview you.
System Administrator job description:
Duties will include:
* Daily administration of services (MySQL,Apache)
* Automation of suitable procedures via scripts or
* Identify problem area's and find potential solutions
* Mail Administration (Postfix/Exim/Courier)
* Support Development Team.
* Support product owners
* Daily administration of our Gentoo Linux based infrastructure
Bonus Points for the following:
* Proven MySQL DBA experience (+1 for high load environments)
* Some PHP skills (+1 for a thorough understanding and proven experience)
* Bash scripting skills
* Apache administration and tuning (+1 for high load environments)
* In depth understanding of x86 based machines (+1 for some 386 Assembly )
* Python skills
* In depth understanding of the Linux Kernel
* Other *nix* knowledge (*BSD's, Solaris, Minix ?? )
If you know that you rock at the above, please send us your CV, with
a 1 page maximum cover letter explaining why you want to work at IOL,
and why you think you'd be a great addition to our team.
More information about the clug-work