[Clug-work] Software Engineer, Google.com
yancyr at google.com
Wed Apr 16 23:55:32 SAST 2008
*This position is available in Mountain View, CA, / Santa Monica, CA /
Boston, MA / Pittsburg, PA/ New York, NY / Kirkland, WA, / Seattle, WA /
Sydney, Australia, Dublin, Ireland, and Zurich, Switzerland.*
The area: Google.com Engineering
With analytical and code-level troubleshooting abilities to spare,
Google.com's engineers are technology whizzes who love being in the center
of the action. We tackle a range of complex software and systems issues,
including monitoring, responding to and safeguarding the availability
of ourmost popular services.
The role: Software Engineer, Google.com
Are you part ace coder, part adrenaline junkie? Do you have a knack
forseeing a problem and immediately discerning the likely solution?
you've been coding for years, are bored with the
olddesign-build-review-test-ship-repeat routine, and yearn
for some faster-paced challenges? Or perhaps you're a seasoned software
engineer who is also a genius at jockeying networks and administering
We're looking for top-notch thrill-seeking software engineers to join the
Google.com engineering team. Google.com engineers are in the thick of
everything involved with keeping Google running, from code-level
troubleshooting of service anomalies to safeguarding the availability
of ourmost popular services; from monitoring and response to building
new automation infrastructure to balancing the desire for change
managementwith the need
for stability. All team members must have strong analytical and
troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding, good communication skills, and
most of all enthusiasm for tackling the complex problems of scale which are
uniquely Google. We tackle challenging, novel situations every day,
and workwith just about every other engineering
and operations team at Google in the process.
In this role you will need:
- Expertise in coding, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service
- Strong understanding of IP networking, including the ability to
analyze network behavior, performance and application issues using
standard tools like tcpdump.
- 0-15+ years experience.
- 3+ years developing web-based applications.
- Expertise in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis.
- Fluency in one or more of: C, C++, Java.
- Fluency in one or more of: Shell, PHP, Perl or Python.
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
- Solid working knowledge of Unix, preferably Linux.
- Tack-sharp analytical abilities.
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Fluent written communication and unusual verbal agility are strong
- SQL experience a plus, MySQL a plus.
- Experience leading short projects involving outside teams is a plus.
- BA/BS in CS, MS or PhD is preferred.
Technical Sourcer, Google Inc.
Mountain View, California U.S.A.
Office: (650) 214-2797
More information about the clug-work