[Clug-work] system administrator positions available, UCT, R337kpa to R456kpa
mwest at cs.uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 11 14:37:18 SAST 2007
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Department of Computer Science
The Department of Computer Science is looking for two system
administrators for appointment as soon as possible to administer the
computer systems in the department. The workplace is a stimulating
environment with student laboratories and research groups which will
expose the candidates to some of the latest ICT technologies.
* A minimum of 3 years specialist experience in either Unix systems
(FreeBSD, Ubuntu Linux, Solaris, etc.) or Microsoft systems (desktop
and server, including terminal server).
* Must be able to work largely unsupervised and will be expected to
be involved in the planning of the future ICT direction of the
department as well as its ICT infrastructure.
The Computer Science Department runs Windows, MacOS and Linux desktops
for staff and postgraduate students, has a senior undergraduate
laboratory of 100 workstations and postgraduate laboratories of 100
workstations. These are connected to FreeBSD and Windows servers with
external hardware RAID.
Responsibilities include, but are not restricted to:
* Ensuring departmental file, application and database server and
* Backup of files on a daily basis
* Ensuring security and integrity of departmental systems
* Support Department usage of the Department Laboratories
* Support the academic and administrative staff workstations.
* Maintain the departments World Wide Web presence.
* Continual planning and upgrading of departmental computer equipment
to accommodate technological change
* Support for the teaching and research in Computer Science courses
* Liaise with the UCT ICTS Department on network, hardware support
and other infrastructure issues
The annual remuneration package, including benefits is negotiable
between R337 033 and R456 005.
Please send: a letter of motivation, a maximum four page CV (no
certificates), including the names and contact details (e-mail and
telephone) of 2 referees by 29 June 2007 to:
Mr Rodney Martin
E-mail: Rodney.Martin at uct.ac.za
Tel: (021) 650 5405
Faculty Website: http://www.science.uct.ac.za/
NB: only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our
intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity
Computer Systems Manager
University of Cape Town
More information about the clug-work