[CLUG-tech] Starting a second X session

Rainer M. Krug Rainer.Krug at uct.ac.za
Thu Mar 22 14:36:02 SAST 2007

Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:39 +0200, Wayne Oliver wrote:
>
>> Exactly, you are able to start X using a different config file, so in
>> theory you should be able to use a different GFX adapter, resolutions,
>> screens, mouses[1], keyboards.
>
> Also note that you can set this up to run automagically through GDM
> (assuming you're using GDM of course). In /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, look
> for the [servers] section (near the bottom). You'll see something like:
> 0=Standard

Thanks a lot for this - I'll keep it in mind. But as I understand it,
this will always start a second X session which I don't need as I only
need a second one when I use Lazarus - which hangs under Fluxbox

Rainer

> [server-Standard]
> name=Standard server
> command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0
>
> Now if you want to add another GDM session on terminal 8 with a
> different xorg.conf server config, you just add:
> 1=OtherServer
>
> [server-OtherServer]
> name=Other server
> command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0 -layout myotherconfig
>
> Then just add a Section "ServerLayout" with the appropriately named
> identifier into your xorg.conf and you're ready to rock. ctrl-alt-F7 and
> ctrl-alt-F8 to switch between the two.
>
> Also note that under Ubuntu Edgy there's also
> a /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf-custom file which I guess is the correct one to
> edit nowadays, rather than gdm.conf itself.

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS AND ADDRESS:

Rainer.Krug at uct.ac.za

RKrug at sun.ac.za WILL BE DISCONTINUED END OF MARCH

Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Leslie Hill Institute for Plant Conservation
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701
South Africa

Fax:		+27 - (0)86 516 2782