[CLUG-tech] inverse grep

Zoltan Szecsei catchall at geograph.co.za
Sun Mar 18 18:31:29 SAST 2007

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to show _all_records that do _not_ contain xxx ?
>>

> grep -v xxx ?
>

> I have a friend from Spain, who knows *everything*.  His name is Manuel.
>  From now on, if you have a question like this, you should just ask him
> the question.  We'll have a little code for it - you can ask the
> question, and I'll say "Repeat To Friend Manuel" (or "RTFM" for short).
> We should make great progress.

Hmmm... Spanish?  - I'd need a Hungarian friend if I was to get that
sort of help   ;-)

Actually, I scanned the man pages but automatically skipped over -v,
thinking it to be the usual "verbose"
.....  but then, with hindsight, I ask myself: "What would the keyword
'verbose' add to grep's functionality?"

my bad, but thanks for the reply,

Zoltan

Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 31255, Tokai 7966, South Africa.

B3-106 Tokai Village, cnr Vans/Tokai Rds,
Tokai 7945, Western Cape, South Africa.

Tel: +27-21-7154329  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323