[CLUG-tech] Hp 6313 All-in-one

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:34:27 SAST 2007

On Monday 24 December 2007, Rory McKinley wrote:
> Arno Breedt wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > If it's got networking built in, try printing RAW or Postscript to
> > port 9100 on that IP address... Most networked HP printers support
> > "JetDirect" on that port.
>
> <snip>
>
> Doh!
>
> Thanks for the tip Arno, unfortunately, rocket scientist that I am, I
> forgot to mention that I thinking of buying the printer - I don't
> have one yet - I was obviously still fast asleep when I wrote the
> first Email.
>
> So, I am hoping to find an answer in temrs of how nicely it plays
> with Linux before I buy it.
>
> Rory

I've had good success with the hplip drivers on recent HP printers. I'm
not sure exactly how it connects to HP itself, but per the HP web site
it does seem to be officially supported or sponsored with the main repo
on SourceForge. Comes with integrated printer, scanner and photo
printing support.

Example - night before last I was battling with a Photosmart 7363 on
gentoo, nothing was successful - cups, gimp, and foomatic drivers -
nothing worked. Stuck hplip on, ran one wizard and bang! JustWorks

If you can't get the 6313 running otherwise, then hplip might well do it
for you. And, any decent dealer will let you test their demo model on
your Linux notebook. If not, go somewhere else and tell them why.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com