[CLUG-tech] Perl Package missing how to install

Traiano Welcome traiano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:26:57 SAST 2007

On 12/20/07, Jonathan Hitchcock <vhata at clug.org.za> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 04:05:06PM +0200, Jongilanga Guma wrote:
> > Thanks!
> >
> > It works,
> > I used "cpan -i  Config::IniFiles.pm "
>
> Nooooooo!   The clever people behind Debian and Ubuntu packaged the
> module up all nicely for you, so that it can be managed by your package
> manager, upgraded when necessary, and removed if you desire.  You should
> use their package.  CPAN is basically a whole other package manager just
> for perl modules, and it doesn't play nicely with apt - it won't upgrade
> your modules or remove them or look after them very well at all.

True. So, to be used only as a last resort, a I mentioned later.

If there's a package in the repositories for a perl module, you should
always use it.  If there isn't, then use CPAN - it's like the
compile-from-source option, and shouldn't be used unless absolutely
necessary.

(Also, you keep top-posting, and please can you stop?)

Sure, no problem ;-)

clug-tech mailing list: clug-tech at clug.org.za
Wiki: http://wiki.clug.org.za
IRC: za.ethereal.web.za #clug