[CLUG-tech] Open source licensing question - does mine need to change?

Wayne Koorts wayne at wkoorts.com
Sat Dec 15 06:22:58 SAST 2007

Hi all,

I've written an application up to the point of performing the function
for which it was intended ("complete").  I released the application
under the GNU GPL.  I have since added features from another application
which was released under the MIT license.  I have not directly copied
and pasted but have adapted the code to suit my needs and give mention
of the author in both the source file (it's one file at this stage) and
on my app's website.

My question is whether my license now has to change from the GPL to the
MIT license?  The MIT license snippet in the borrowed application's
source file (also one file) indicates:

"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

It seems now that maybe I can't have both my license _and_ their license
applying to the same source so how does this all work exactly?  I'm
hoping somebody with more experience with licenses can provide me with
some clarity.

Regards,
Wayne