[CLUG-tech] SAMBA Delete Issues

Izak Burger isburger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:05:28 SAST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 1:29 PM, Carel Burger <carelburger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything works fine, but for some reason someone else can not delete
> files by someone in that same group. My permissions on the files are
> set to 770, and the files does belong to that group. Is this an linux
> issue or a SAMBA configuration issue?

First things first, unless you want the files to be executed, set them
to 660, not 770.

Let me explain something about directory permissions. A directory is a
special type of file that can contain other files. If a directory has
read access, then you can get a listing of the files it contains. If a
directory has write access, you can change the listing, that is, you
can add files to it, or delete them. Here is the crucial bit of info
that many people are not aware of: A file does not actually have to
belong to you or be writable by you in order for you to delete it. If
the directory it is in is writable by you, then you can delete the
file.

Now check your permissions on the directory and I'm sure you'll find
that either you don't have write permissions set for the group, or you
don't have the directory assigned to the group. At least, I hope it is
that simple... :-)

regards,
Izak