[CLUG-tech] SAMBA Delete Issues

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:47:33 SAST 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007, Carel Burger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have setup SAMBA so that users can log in with their user name and
> password and granted access to specific shares on a group basis.
>
> Everything works fine, but for some reason someone else can not
> delete files by someone in that same group. My permissions on the
> files are set to 770, and the files does belong to that group. Is
> this an linux issue or a SAMBA configuration issue?

What are the relevant owners, permissions ont he files and directories
in question? Surely you have not set all files to 770? That's makes
them all executables.

What are the relevant samba settings in use?

The permissions on a file is not what allows you to delete it, that is
taken from the permissions on the directory that contains the file.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com