[CLUG-tech] AJAX - PHP or Python long term?

Neil Blakey-Milner nbm at nxsy.org
Mon Dec 10 11:45:00 SAST 2007

On 12/10/07, Izak Burger <isburger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2007 7:36 PM, Wayne Koorts <wkoorts at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You were going to say Python?
>
> I was hoping the python crowd would be louder this time... :-P
>
> Well, the guys over here, who are a little zope/plone crazy as you all
> know, use a thing called azax (zope product) combined with PloneAzax
> (plone product) to make these things work. Apparently this is very
> powerful, but I don't know enough about it to really recommend it, and
> it also means you have to go for the whole steep learning curve that
> is zope/plone.
>
> I'm not a php fan. I was hoping python would win :-)

The Python crowd were all at StarCamp this weekend having tons of fun, I think.

I think if you're looking long-term, then maintenance is a huge deal.
And that's a problem with PHP, not an advantage.  Python promotes
shorter, more expressive, and more understandable code, and also
better design.  Although, of course, you can screw things up just as
well with Python as with PHP if you just don't plan properly.

The market is very hard at the moment to find good PHP or Python
people.  UCT and Rhodes grads are leaving university with Python
skills.  Whether that means we're going to have a huge crop in a few
years remains to be seen, though.

Another bonus of Python is that it's fairly similar to JavaScript in
terms of language abilities and features, and thus you don't need to
move from a fairly restricted language in PHP to an actually fairly
nice and open language in JavaScript.

I think you'll find that a large amount of the Web 2.0/AJAX space is
happening around languages other than PHP.  And that includes, for
example, the fact that JavaScript is much more important in the whole
equation than the back-end languages in many cases.

For applications, I'd recommend Python.  Unless the application is so
pushed onto the browser that you're just doing storage and back-end.
In which case it doesn't matter that much what you'd use, but I'd
still recommend Python.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner