[CLUG-tech] 'tis the season

Izak Burger isburger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:34:01 SAST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 11:08 AM, Bernd Jendrissek
<bernd.jendrissek at rocketseed.com> wrote:
> You could get a bit more out of a parallel port, with 8 output lines,
> although there too you'd have to watch the drive capability of the port.
> Each LED sucks about 20mA.

I have software somewhere for messing with parallel port registers.
Ask me if you want it.

Leds should be more than happy with 10mA. But I have never seen an lpt
port that can handle more than 2mA. You're going to need at least a
simple divider bridge (to correctly bias the transistor) and a
transistor to amplify the signal and switch the led.

regards,
Izak