[CLUG-tech] ftp downloads

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sat Dec 8 12:08:23 SAST 2007

Greg Armer wrote:
> On 12/8/07, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to download an "install cd"-type directory structure of files
>> from a proprietry website.
>>
>> I've tried wget, wsftp and firefox downthemall but they all seem to get
>> stuck on descending into the directories on the remote site.
>>
>> What parameter/keyword am I missing, or what ftp product should I be using?
>>
>> TIA,
>>

> Hi Zoltan,
>
> You mentioned that you are trying to download from a website. If you
> can only use HTTP to get these files then wget with the --mirror
> option should work fine.
>
> If you do have FTP access then i'd recommend lftp, simply log in and
> use the mirror command to recurse into the subdirectories and create
> an identical local copy automatically.
>
> Hope it works for you.
>
> --
> Greg Armer

Great - thanks Greg,
I only have an ftp login, so I'll check out lftp.

Cheers for now,
Zol

Zoltan Szecsei
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 31255, Tokai 7966, South Africa.

B3-106 Tokai Village, cnr Vans/Tokai Rds,
Tokai 7945, Western Cape, South Africa.

Tel: +27-21-7154329  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323