[CLUG-tech] A table called #

Ben Bartrum bba at inbox.com
Tue Dec 4 16:12:30 SAST 2007

Hello

I have a MySQL 4.0.20 database, and I created a dump file of it.  When I tried to import it on another server (different platform), I get this error:

ERROR 1064 at line 11: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'varchar(255) default NULL,
  id varchar(255) default NULL,
  en

'Show tables' on the original server shows there is a table called #  (really just #)
When I look at the sqldumpfile, line 11 shows:

CREATE TABLE # (

If I change this to
CREATE TABLE `#`  (
(using backticks) it works.  But how can I prevent this from happening every time?

Thanks