[CLUG-tech] ISA rolout at ICT

Hans van der Merwe hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za
Tue Dec 4 09:47:04 SAST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 09:20 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi
>
> ICTS is rolling out ISA (nternet Security and Acceleration) at UCT which
> requires the use of the cache.pac automatic proxy configuration file and
> an authentication with username and password to access the internet.
>
> My question is:
>
> How does that affect programs (under Linux) in which I can not use the
> automatic configuration script, but which use a direct proxy address?
> I assume that browsers like firefox et al will work - but I am slightly
> worried about the other programs (smart package manager, R, etc.) ---
> especially ICTS help desk essentially told me that I should contact them
> if it doesn't work and they will see if they can make a plan to make it
> work.
>
> Rainer

Well, I have the same at my current job - MS ISA server (proxy).  It
currently uses NTLM to authenticate the user to the server - this is
native to Firefox (do about:config and search for ntlm), but not to the
rest of the system (well not the ones I used, Kubuntu and openSUSE).
I use "ntlmaps",  http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/
It acts as an local proxy and relays any requests to the ISA server
(with NTLM auth).
It works fine, sometimes it will max out the CPU for no apparent reason?

Hans

E-mail Disclaimer
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm