[CLUG-tech] ISA rolout at ICT

Kyle Williams kylewilliams at openwarriors.org
Tue Dec 4 09:39:53 SAST 2007

Hi Rainer

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 09:20:15 Rainer M Krug wrote:
> My question is:
>
> How does that affect programs (under Linux) in which I can not use the
> automatic configuration script, but which use a direct proxy address?
> I assume that browsers like firefox et al will work - but I am slightly
> worried about the other programs (smart package manager, R, etc.) ---
> especially ICTS help desk essentially told me that I should contact them
> if it doesn't work and they will see if they can make a plan to make it
> work.

Everything which does not run on the HTTP protocol works without a problem,
ie. email.
For programs which use the HTTP protocol, such as for apt, rss, etc. you need
to set up the proxy. In KDE I do it under the control panel and everyting
works without a problem.

Regards
Kyle

--
Kyle Williams
contact (at) kylewilliams (dot) co (dot) za
Jabber: kylewilliams at jabber.obsidian.co.za
Blog: http://www.kylewilliams.co.za
In a world without walls who needs Windows?