[CLUG-tech] ISA rolout at ICT

Rainer M Krug rainer.linux at krugs.de
Tue Dec 4 09:20:15 SAST 2007

Hi

ICTS is rolling out ISA (nternet Security and Acceleration) at UCT which
requires the use of the cache.pac automatic proxy configuration file and
an authentication with username and password to access the internet.

My question is:

How does that affect programs (under Linux) in which I can not use the
automatic configuration script, but which use a direct proxy address?
I assume that browsers like firefox et al will work - but I am slightly
worried about the other programs (smart package manager, R, etc.) ---
especially ICTS help desk essentially told me that I should contact them
if it doesn't work and they will see if they can make a plan to make it
work.

Rainer