[CLUG-tech] Someone gave me an SGI O2, now what?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Fri Oct 27 23:25:30 SAST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:36:45PM +0200, Mark Ter Morshuizen wrote:
> I'd also suggest Irix. NetBSD would run well but a SGI machine with no
> graphics is not really an SGI machine. I don't know anything about Debian on
> Mips but I do know that Debian support for both Xfree86 and Xorg on Alpha is
> flakey at the best of times, and especially with the fancier video hardware.
> You might be OK with an old Matrox or some such but any hi-end graphics
> solution is unlikely to work.

Couldn't agree with Mark more - if you have an SGI and want to use the
video hardware, run IRIX on it. NetBSD will work on the R10K O2 "kinda",
but it has some issues (mostly related to the DMA "features" of the R10K),
and the video hardware certainly won't work. OpenBSD may work a bit better
(see the sgi port), but the same video caveats apply.

IRIX isn't that bad, but SGIs ridiculous policy on making patches available
can be a bit frustrating. I'd recommend the use of pkgsrc for installing
and managing 3rd party software - I've had good luck with it under IRIX.

Hope your machine has a fair amount of RAM - O2 RAM is proprietary and
_expensive_ (at least compared to Octane RAM, which is dirt cheap).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/