[CLUG-tech] External hdd partitioning...

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Feb 28 01:28:37 SAST 2006

On Monday, 27 February 2006 17:18, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:35:36PM +0200, Andre Truter wrote:
> > Let's say you want the first partition to be FAT32 and the second
> > to be Ext3 then  you would do something like this:
> >
> > mkfs.vfat -n Winshare /dev/sda1
>
> I am always a bit reluctant to create windows file systems from
> linux. (i.e. I  suggest creating them from windows or with dos
> fdisk). Is my reluctance founded on fact, i.e. has anyone on this
> list seen problems with fat32 partitions created under linux
> recently?

Creating and writing to fat isn't a problem from Linux. Same with
creating and resizing NTFS - it's been a long while since I saw an
error with that. The problem area is writing to NTFS. That doesn't
mean that there must be problems with all other MS file systems

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za