[CLUG-tech] SUSE additional packages and updates

Andre Truter linux at trusoft.co.za
Mon Feb 27 12:52:30 SAST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 12:39 +0200, Hans wrote:
> I tried to update my  Java 1.4 to 1.5 but only got 1.4 updates and not a
> jump to 1.5.
> I had to download the 1.5 rpm from the update repository and install it
> by hand.
>
> My question is:  how does SUSE (YOU) handle additional packages added to
> the repository?
> (in other words, Java 1.5 isn't on the install DVD, but is in the update
> rep, but with no current version 1.5 installed the update is ignored)
> Am I making sense?

I assume you have OpenSUSE or the download version of SuSE (SuSE
Evaluation).

They do not include stuff like Java, etc.

You can just set up YaST to point to the SUSE online repositories to get
some additional stuff.

Have a look on the OpenSUSE site (http://en.opensuse.org/Download)

Here are some instructions on how to add the repositories:
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Add_YaST_Source

Alternatively, you can just set up apt and use that.  Have a look here
for easy setup of apt on SUSE:
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Install-apt4suse

HTH
--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.co.za

~ If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0 ~