[CLUG-tech] Configuration for graphics card in RedHat 7.2

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Feb 23 11:30:58 SAST 2006

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 10:55, Nolan Rumble wrote:
>  <snip>
>

> You are a bit vague as to what is actually wrong. Does the card
> come one when you boot the machine? Does the problem start when X
> starts?
>
> <snip>
>
> My apologies, X doesn't start at all.  It says in the XFree86.0.log
> file that it couldn't find any screens.  I've tried running
> Xconfigurator but it just doesn't seem to work :( it detects what
> type of screen I'm running, but I've been playing around with
> various resolutions and colour depth settings and it just won't
> take the settings :(
>
> What's the chance that this might be a hardware problem?  How would
> I find this out?

RH 7 is old so chances are good it can't detect your hardware. Try the
other two config programs instead - XF86Setup and xf86config and see
if they have better luck. You might end up using lspci and manually
adding your hardware details like PCIID to XFree86Config

It's been a long time, I don't recall which version of XFree86 came
with RH7, if it 3.x you might recall that you had to select the
correct binary compiled for your hardware.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za