[CLUG-tech] Best practice for compact flash mounted root

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Feb 21 17:33:24 SAST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 06:47:30PM +0200, Mark Ter Morshuizen wrote:
> Hi Cluggers,
>
> I'm playing around with using compact flash cards to replace the hard drives
> in some of my machines and was wondering if anyone here as any suggestions on
> the matter.
>
> I want a fairly generic debian configuration with apt etc. It should be
> generic enough to run on just about any machine I plug it into.

I've done some googling of my own, and the following looks like it may
be relevant (at the very least the rcS that it uses will be a good
starting point), sadly it looks like it is still woody though :

Pebble - A smallish Debian Linux read-only distribution designed for
embedded
         style wireless devices.
Email:  < pebble-distro at nycwireless dot net >

This is a somewhat minimal (more than 16 megs, less than 400 megs,
designed to fit on a 128 meg CF card) Debian stripped distro aimed for
use in wireless embedded devices.  It's biggest advantage is that it
mounts read-only.  You don't have to worry as much about wearing down
the compact flash, and you don't have to worry about doing proper
shutdowns.  Unplug and plug in as much as you want.  Also you get the
full
Debian "apt-get" functionality allowing you to easily add additional
software.

Cheers
Jonathan