[CLUG-tech] firewall/Router question

Gideon Le Grange gideon at adept.co.za
Tue Feb 21 09:20:19 SAST 2006

On 21 Feb 2006, at 7:01 AM, Calvyn Du Toit wrote:

> I have a linux router/firewall that has 2 internet connections,
> one being diginet the other adsl
> All web traffic etc is routed via ip tables to the adsl line for
> speed etc.
>
> In the event that the adsl line drops I want the traffic to then
> reroute via the diginet line.
> Any idea how to do this dynamically without changing ip rules.

If you are using ip tables to do change the normal routing behaviour,
then that would be the place to change the said behaviour.
Alternatively you can set up a backup default route on your ADSL
router to forward packets to the Diginet router (if your ADSL router
can support multiple routes for the same destination with different
priorities; many cheap ones do not).

Gideon