[CLUG-tech] Installed GRUB on an NTFS partition

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Feb 17 15:32:41 SAST 2006

Hi all

Without thinking I ran 'grub-install /dev/hda1' which had an NTFS XP
install on it. Obviously this took out the NT boot loader, usually
fixed with FIXMBR and FIXBOOT off the CD. Except this time the fs got
marked as a FAT-12 drive. The partition itself is correctly labelled
as HPFS/NTFS.

Is there a Linux tool to put the NT loader back where it belongs? Or
do I have to search and find someone with XP and the appropriate
Windows tools? Or am I up the creek without a paddle?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za