[CLUG-tech] Fetchmail and anti-spam

Thomas Andrews tandrews at grok.co.za
Fri Feb 17 11:58:01 SAST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:35:55AM +0200, Ronald Charles James wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can help me, I have configured fetchmail and it is
> working 100 % without any problems, however I have an anti-virus and
> anti-spam program which has blacklists and whitelists etc. I have put a test
> account into the blacklists but the mail still comes through.
>
> My suspician is because of the From address that Fetchmail seems to modify
> when it fetches the mail, my anti-spyware prog seems to think it is from
> local, is there anyway I can change this ?

You can't do that kind of thing with fetchmail, because the mail has
already been "delivered" (in SNMP terms) to your ISP. The best you can
do at that poing is identify the spam/viruses and toss them into
/dev/null.

To be able to do RBLs, greylisting, whitelisting, etc, etc you need to
run a mail server which has the MX for your domain(s) pointing to it.