[CLUG-tech] hylafax and an email box for each modem

John Ward johnw at icg.edu.za
Fri Feb 17 10:37:52 SAST 2006

Hi Andy,

The modems are simple "mecer" brand usb56K modems...

To get them to work, I had to install "slmodem". This got them to be
seen as ttySLx devices..

In the inittab (after running faxaddmodem) I put these lines in to make
them work:
m0:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySL0
m1:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySL1
m2:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySL2
m3:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySL3

This now works nicely.

The slmodem issue was not quite plain sailing... some kernels have it in
by default ( like some of the Suse ES versions).

Regards
John