[CLUG-tech] Calculating Bandwidth with rsync

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Fri Feb 17 09:02:32 SAST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:52:37AM +0200, Charles Oertel wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
> >Sorry, I don't think explained myself properly, I need to know how
> >much data was transfered, not how much disk space was used. The
> >backups will run remotely and I get charged per MB for data to or from
> >my server, so I need to be able to calculate it.
>
> Two ways?:
> 1) Difference in size of home directory from month to month?  Not great
> if some files grow and others shrink, and does not cater for protocol
> overheads.
>
> 2) Status report from rsync:
>
>    sent 19387 bytes  received 48 bytes  38870.00 bytes/sec
>    total size is 19229  speedup is 0.99
>
>    you could parse this with sed to get total transfer every day.

Maybe you can use iostat to calculate it:

>From the man page:

     The iostat command is used for monitoring system input/output
     device loading by observing the time the devices are active in
     relation to their average transfer rates.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our
      sorrows; yet we considered him stricken by God,
      smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for
      our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
      the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and
      by his wounds we are healed."        Isaiah 53:4,5