[CLUG-tech] Google Re-Indexing

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata-clug at rucus.ru.ac.za
Mon Feb 13 21:49:25 SAST 2006

On Mon 2006-02-13 (21:40), Roland Giesler wrote:
> Their webserver (generically speaking) does know.

(Google has recently introduced exit-URL tracking on some, but not all, of
the URLs they serve.  This involves them serving you a google page instead
of the actual URL, and that Google page makes a note of where you're going,
and then redirects you there transparently.  However, this is not relevant,
because it still won't know if you got a 404 when you got there, unless it
also goes and has a quick shufti, out of curiosity.  And, like, I said, it's
only on some of their exit URLs, so we can be sure that this is not part of
their grand scheme for reindexing expired pages.)

(Okay, so my other post wasn't all I had to say, sue me.)