[CLUG-tech] 64 bit multi-processor linux

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:59:16 SAST 2006

On 2/13/06, Mike Nixon <nixonm at pathcare.co.za> wrote:
> Hi there,
>   Newbie here, so apologies if this query has already been posted.
> We have a 64-bit dual-processor Intel box, and are looking for the
> "correct" version (preferably SuSE) to load on this.
> We've been from pillar to post with local linux dealers & nobody seems
> to have a properly optimised linux disto for us.
> Hope someone can help?

Define 64bit Intel: Ie. Itanium or EMT64 P4 xeon?

For the EMT64s you can start with any 32bit x86/P4 Linux distro. But
if you *really*
need to use 64bit (Or are so masochistic to try it ;^P SuSE do have
the 64bit kernels etc.
and I recall it's lately on the same DVDs as the x86 stuff. It's
typically called/targeted
for the AMD64 or x86_64 if you need to look for the platforms etc.