[CLUG-tech] crontab: no changes made to crontab

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Thu Feb 9 14:11:11 SAST 2006

Hallo Izak,

Thanks for your explanation.

I did an experiment following your message:  A temp-file was created
in /tmp.  I copied it to another file and after exiting the editor
moved it to /var/spool/cron/<user>.

The problem is obviously that /usr/bin/crontab cannot move the tmp-file
to the correct destination.

A comparison between the permissions on /usr/bin/crontab:

On RH7.3:
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        21080 Apr 15  2002 /usr/bin/crontab*

And on Debian Unstable:
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root      crontab    26668 2005-11-08 00:19 /usr/bin/crontab

Anyhow the RH7.3 is due for an upgrade and that will happen soon.

Regards
Johann.
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my
      heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my
      strength, and my redeemer."          Psalms 19:14