[CLUG-tech] Gigabyte 256M USb stick stopped working

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Feb 8 17:05:16 SAST 2006

On Wednesday, 8 February 2006 16:04, Neil Muller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:21:24PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Google didn't help much. Lots of hits, but nothing on error -71
> > and nothing related to usb-storage that I can see.
>
> 71 is EPROTO (protocol error), which sugegsts that, for whatever
> kernel you're using, the driver for the controller is buggy.

I hear you, but it seems unlikely. My old 2.6.11-gentoo-r1 kernel that
always worked no longer does. Neither does my Ubuntu install, neither
does a LiveCD - that's the one that seems to nail it to a problem
with the device itself

> A quick google reveals that this seems to be most common with
> either VIA hardware, where it seems ACPI does strange things to the
> usb controller (solution, don't enable ACPI), and powerpcs,
> apparantly just because.

My hardware is AMD Barton 2600 with nForce2 chipset

you might have something there with acpi though. I'll give it a try...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za