[CLUG-tech] Gigabyte 256M USb stick stopped working

Percy Langa planga at pgwc.gov.za
Wed Feb 8 15:25:40 SAST 2006

[..]
>There's a vfat fs on this stick and it used to work just fine. After a

>lot of experimenting with new kernels and initrds, it doesn't work
>any more [snip]

$fdisk /dev/sda ?
If it tells you something about invalid or unrecognised partition(s).
Then, remove all data & re-partition using cdfisk or fdisk.

Btw, I had kinda of a similar issue (but my was not related to
partitions or invalid device headers) after upgrading from kernel 2.6.8
to 2.6.14. The device would only be mounted by root, like so: $mount
/dev/sda1 /media/thumbdrive (even though /dev/sda was accessible to
user=percy and the command 'mount' has also on user=percy's path,
user=percy couldnt mount the device) :O(

Then I upgraded from debian 3.0 (previous stable) to 3.1 (current
stable). That problem quickly disappeared. */me is still puzzled*

Good luck.

Regards
Percy

“All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its attachments are the view of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Provincial Government Western Cape (“the PGWC”).
No employee of the PGWC is entitled to conclude a binding contract on behalf of the PGWC unless he/she
is an Accounting Officer of the PGWC, or his or her authorised representative.

The information contained in this message and its attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the
named recipient only, except where the sender specifically states otherwise.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone.”