[CLUG-tech] local apt-get repositories

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:40:29 SAST 2006

On 2/3/06, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been browsing the wikis but the penny hasn't dropped yet.
>
> I now have 3 breezy boxes and want to have their apt get repositories
> prioritised so that the other 2 boxes first check the main box before
> downloading from the internet repositories.
>
> eg:
> gl0 is the main box. When I install something I dont delete the
> downloaded files so they stay in /var/cache/apt/archives
>
> Surely there must be an easy way to specify that the other two boxes
> (gm0 and tvpc) give priority to whatever is already on gl0, rather than
> just download the stuff from the internet?

It's debian, so use apt-proxy ;^P

> The next step would be that, if I installed something first on (say)
> tvpc, it copied (not installed) onto gl0 /var/cache/apt/archives so that
> if I wanted to install on the remaining boxes, they would then find it
> locally.

That's what I do with my Gentoo's, simply as they have the logic:
 if ! wget $URL/file
  $URL=next-mirror()
 fi

> I don't really want to set up an apt-proxy, and
> "LocalAptGetRepositories[Trivial]" seemed a bit long winded - or is this
> the route because there is some indexing I haven't thought of? (I rather
> assumed it scans the directory for available products)

The way I've noticed debian does it's stuff is to firstly download an
index of the files
that mirror have, and then decides whic is the latest version and
fetch accordingly.
And then yes, that [Trivial] method might be the way to go.

--
Hendrik Visage