[CLUG-tech] Recommended ADSL Modem?

Dewet Diener clug-tech at dewet.org
Wed Feb 1 13:22:18 SAST 2006

Mogamat Abrahams wrote:
 > These dont do bridge mode (AFAIK) and so add an extra layer of admin
 > if you using your ADSL Router on a firewall/proxy etc to serve a lan.

As I said, good for home use, which is what I deduced from the original
post ;)

I don't want a PC running 24x7 at home for various reasons (power use,
noise, etc), but this router *does* do firewalling, port forwarding and
dyndns registration for me already.  And for visiting PCs, it is
plug-and-play with DHCP, meaning it really is much *less* admin than
having it running on a (server) PC -- there is something to be said for
its web-based admin for these simple tasks.

But yes, I would not want to try and set up any advanced routing with it.

 > The telkoms modems may be a bit shaky at times (Older ones would loose
 > ability to switch into bridge mode, or corrupt firmware updates) but
 > they are easier to integrate.

I dunno about that.  I've had a Marconi since the early days, and
haven't had any problems with it.  It mostly *just works* (TM).