[CLUG-tech] shutdown -R goes into loop

Stefan Mahs sbmahs at absamail.co.za
Wed Feb 1 13:15:02 SAST 2006

Hi all,

The other day my laptop ran out of battery power and died.  It started
up fine but I missed the "Press Y now to check the disks".  So I did a
shutdown -rF now to reboot and force a fschk.  The machine duely shut
down and rebooted, did the fsck, said it would perform an fsck on next
boot and promptly rebooted.  This went on indefinitely.

I eventually I inserted a boot disk and went to rescue mode to mount the
file system and delete the "/forcefsck".  This solved the problem.

The question is: is there a bug in the bootup sequence?  Why did fsck
not delete the file after completing?

I am running Mdk 10.2 with upgraded kernel, 2.6.14

Regards,
Stefan