[CLUG-tech] Recommended ADSL Modem?

G Corry gcorry at bdmail.co.za
Wed Feb 1 13:12:04 SAST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: clug-tech-bounces at clug.org.za [mailto:clug-tech-bounces at clug.org.za]
On Behalf Of Rudolf Vavruch
Sent: 01 February 2006 12:02 PM
To: Technical Questions and Answers
Subject: [CLUG-tech] Recommended ADSL Modem?

I assume this subject has been discussed to death but I can't find much
information on the wiki and there doesn't seem to be a search
functionality on the list.

We're planning on getting ADSL, at the moment we're considering the
HomeDSL 384 (any comments?). The modem will be connected probably to an
Ubuntu machine at first but I would like to change it to OpenBSD at some
point in the future.

I've read that Telkom's Marconi modem's are to be avoided. We're looking
for a solid mid-rangeish modem. Any suggestions, any recommendations
where would be a good place to get hold of such an item?

Thanks,
Rudolf

I use the Marconi which connects to a Linksys WRT54GS (Wi-fi AP). I have not
had any problems with the Marconi but then I only use it in Bridge mode. I
went this route because they gave it to me free and it seemed to work out
the cheapest - even after penalties etc. Some of the ISP's give you a free
WiFi AP/DSL Modem (Netgear if I remember) if you sign up with them for a
year - I would go that route. I think Blackdot and a couple of other ISP's
offered this.

-Grant