[CLUG-tech] Recommended ADSL Modem?

Dewet Diener clug-tech at dewet.org
Wed Feb 1 12:48:44 SAST 2006

Rudolf Vavruch wrote:
> I've read that Telkom's Marconi modem's are to be avoided. We're looking
> for a solid mid-rangeish modem. Any suggestions, any recommendations
> where would be a good place to get hold of such an item?

Depends on the features you're looking for.

I'm using the Netgear WRT834 [1], which is nice for home use, since it
contains a built-in 802.11b/g access point and 4-port switch as well.
Runs linux on the inside, so there is a chance that Sveasoft [2]
firmware can be used on it.  Can be picked up for <R1500.

[1]: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveasoft