[CLUG-tech] mount problem

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Wed Feb 1 12:07:19 SAST 2006

Hi

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:35:31AM +0100, Nneoma wrote:
> lsmod | grep cd gives:
> ehci-hcd               16616   0 (unused)
> usbcore                57824   1 [hid ehci-hcd usb-storage usb-uhci]
> ide-cd                 28704   0
$ sudo modprobe cdrom (if you have sudo, or su followed by modprobe
cdrom without sudo). (Perhaps you also need sr_mod)

lsmod to check it is there and look in /dev again.

> I linked /dev/cdrom to the /dev/sd* , and I get:
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
These links should be made for you, and not everything in /dev/ is a
link (oftenyou use MAKEDEV or mknod to create devices manually, nowadays
udev  took over devfs, but you might run either on your knoppix).

cheers,
Jan

--
   .~.