[CLUG-tech] PC Hardware probe - looking for

Brian Shortridge bshortridge at tellumat.com
Fri Nov 29 12:35:30 SAST 2002

Hi

I'm busy trying to compile the linux-2.19 kernel from source. When I run
'make menuconfig' it asks me all sorts of technical questions to which I
don't know the answers.

What I want to know is, does anyone know of some sort of free PC diagnostic
program that I can run from a bootdisk that would be able to probe my PC
hardware and give me all the technical specs (Bus speed, type of
mother-board, etc., etc.)

At the moment, all that I know is that I'm running a Celeron 500 (which
apparently has the Pentium II type architecture). I bought the computer a
couple of years ago from my brother and he had lost all the documentation by
the time I got it :(. Windows users generally never see the point of
documentation ;).

It has been suggested that I find .configure in my current linux's source
tree and look at that (will that have accurate info on my hardware?), but I
don't know where to find it on my Red Hat 7.1 system.

I've googled for <"PC diagnostics" free>, but haven't really been able to
spot something useful there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Notice:

This email transmission contains confidential information which is the property of the sender and if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission, or the taking of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant thereto, is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately to arrange for the return of the documentation comprising this transmission. No warranty is given by Tellumat (Pty) Ltd that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained throughout transmission, nor that the communication is free of viruses, interception or interference. In no event will Tellumat (Pty) Ltd be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any reliance or use of this email, including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system or otherwise. Unless expre
ssly stated by the sender to be given on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. Tellumat (Pty) Ltd disclaims liability for any unauthorised opinion or representation made by the sender on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd.