[CLUG-tech] Linux backup for small businesses

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.co.za
Fri Nov 22 14:28:44 SAST 2002

I had the same issue a while ago, and found some scripts that do full backups
onto several CDs.  Eventually, I used one of them to craft my own - I wanted
to use afio, verify that the backups were good, and put a directory listing
of all files on each disk (e.g. disk two of five has 5 files on it, each
giving the list of files on each of the disks:  you can take any disk, grep
for a filename, and see which disk it is on).

Then, I have a daily backup script that records all files modified since the
last full backup.  When I go away for the weekend I take the full backup and
the incremental with.

One of my clients has the same setup - and every night the incremental sends
me a report so I can see when their incremental CD is full and I need to run
another full backup.  The system runs so well I go there about twice a year.

regards
Charles

Perhaps I can send them along to you?