[CLUG-tech] Printing High Quality Graphics

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.co.za
Tue Nov 19 08:23:52 SAST 2002

I was in the same boat re the Gimp.  Then I found a free electronic book
called "Grokking the Gimp".  Made a huge difference.  It's all about layers
and masks etc. (google for it).  Once you get the basic
idea/metaphor/philosophy it's a grinch.

So, where CorelDraw has objects that you can manipulate, you can use layers of
bitmaps to get the same effect.

What the book does say is that the Gimp is great for web work (RGB colour
model), but does not have the full capabilities to do CMY work properly
(which means I need to tweak pictures manually to get printouts to look OK I
guess).

Part of the perceived problem is that Windows (by philosophy) just perks up
the pictures to make them look brighter and better behind the scenes (the
same way word decides how you should format your documents).  Ordinary users
love that, despite the fact that they're actually out of control.

With linux, you have the control, but then you need to RTFM and find the right
howto from the million available, and the default settings are often not
workable.  sigh.

regards
Charles