[CLUG-tech] Preventing HTML page caching

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.co.za
Mon Nov 18 11:02:43 SAST 2002

Dear Tom

The instructions you put as meta tags in the HTML header block will only
affect the browser, not a proxy server.  To control caching in devices that
do not read the HTML you need to put directives into the http header.

There is a brilliant guide to this with info about building a cache-aware
website at WDVL (web developers virtual library).

http://www.wdvl.com/Internet/Cache/

(And yes, my customers with IE often complain that even if they click
'refresh' they still don't see changes to the website that I have posted.)

regards
Charles Oertel