[CLUG-tech] apt-what ?

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Thu Nov 14 15:51:14 SAST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Andy Rabagliati wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Thomas Andrews wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking for the package that contains a specific perl module and
> >>libmailtools-perl is a possible candidate (but there are also 20+
> >>others that are also candidates, so I want to grep the results...).
> >
> > To not answer your question :-)
> >
> > With redhat I do this :-
> >
> > for f in *.rpm ; do echo '   ' $f ; rpm -qlp $f | grep someperlmodule ; done
> >
> > You get a listing of the rpms it is searching indented, and the
> > 'hit' comes out of the grep left-justified.
>
> And this is supposed to make people want to use RH?

It is not 'supposed' to do anything - it is answering a question.

> $ urpmf <filename>
>
> Where filename can be partial:
>
> [bgmilne at bgmilne bgmilne]$ urpmf IO/String
> perl-IO-String:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/IO/String.pm
> perl-IO-stringy:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/IO/Stringy.pm
> perl-IO-stringy:/usr/share/doc/perl-IO-stringy-2.108/IO/Stringy.pm.html
>
> (of course this is on Mandrake).

On the system that you ran this comand, was perl-IO-String(y) installed ?

If it was, I do this :-

rpm -qf `locate Stringy.pm.html`

If it was, that was not the question that was asked (specifically for
/uninstalled/ packages).

If it was not - what database does it use ?

Have you installed a huge database of files not-yet-installed ?

Say I have a pile of foreign RPMs (I build my own) and I am trying
to find out which one has the file wizzy_bookmarks.html in it ?

That, I think, was the question Thomas asked, with a debian flavour.

Cheers,   Andy!