[CLUG-tech] ext3

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Wed Nov 13 17:30:30 SAST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Tom Coetser wrote:

> I converted an ext2 fs to ext3, and am now getting the same problem as you
> mentioned in this earlier post:
>
> On Monday 18 March 2002 20:18, Thomas Andrews wrote:
> > If I reset one of my pc's without shutting down properly, it insists on
> > doing a fsck even though journalling is in place, and the root partition is
> > running ext3. I've used tune2fs -l, but I can't see anything obvious wrong.
> > This happened with ext3 as both a module, and part of the kernel. I've
> > looked inside the initrd, but again, I can't see anything obviously wrong.
> >
> > What must I do to get e2fsck to replay the journal file ?

The act of mounting an ext3 partition will replay the journal file if necessary.

When I have bumped into this problem, I just hacked the init scripts :-

[ On Redhat - /etc/init.d/rc.sysinit ]

+ROOTFSTYPE=`grep " / " /proc/mounts | awk '{ print $3 }'`
+if [ -z "$fastboot" -a "$ROOTFSTYPE" != "nfs" ]; then
+
+        STRING=$"Checking root filesystem"
+        echo $STRING
+        initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /"
+        rc=$?
+
+        if [ "$rc" = "0" ]; then
+                success "$STRING"
+                echo
+        elif [ "$rc" = "1" ]; then
+                passed $"$STRING"
+                echo
+        fi

Just comment out the initlog line .. and diddle with the return
code.

Should be as easy to find on debian.

Cheers,    Andy!