[CLUG-tech] gigabit copper ethernet & linux

Mark Ter Morshuizen mark at itbox.co.za
Mon Nov 11 16:24:12 SAST 2002

Hi Abraham,

On Monday 11 November 2002 02:06 pm, Abraham vd Merwe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Which gigabit ethernet (copper) NIC's work well in Linux. Also, does anyone
> have stats on the bus saturation for gigabit NIC's on a 32-bit PCI bus?
> (i.e. if you do full-duplex 1000M/bits transfers how bad does the other
> cards on the bus suffer? imho it is probably a very bad idea to have a 1g
> nic on 32-bit bus since you then have a theoretical 33MB bandwidth left for
> other things.)

The first question you have to ask yourself is how you are going to saturate a
gig card with traffic. (If you don't saturate it it won't use up that much
bandwidth on the PCI bus.)

> Any suggestions on which cheapish motherboards (preferably those with
> 64-bit PCI busses (PCI-X)) work well with these NICs will also be
> appreciated.
>
> Last question: Can you use 32-bit pci cards on a 64-bit PCI bus?

I think this is more of a chipset / PCI spec question than a blanket yes / no
answer can cover.

On alphas with PCI busses the 64 bit PCI matches up to the 64 bit architecture
perfectly but most (not all) 32 bit PCI cards also work.

I think the situation with ISA / EISA to PCI bridges is somehow similar.
(Different bus width / data rate dumped on a wider / faster bus.)

I guess what I mean is YMMV...

Cheers,
--
Mark Ter Morshuizen
mark at itbox.co.za
www.itbox.co.za
082 542 6484

The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
--unknown