[CLUG-tech] NE2000s (and clones)

Stefano Rivera stefano at clug.org.za
Thu Nov 7 21:08:15 SAST 2002

I have built a fully modular (as far as networking goes) kernel, and here are the results.
I also tried downloading the driver from the authers site, but I cannot get it to compile
as per his instructions, but I am working on that...

2002/11/07 09:01:13 AM, Daniel Shaw <daniel at obsidian.co.za> wrote:
>You'll need compiled in support for 8029 too, but the stock
>(modularised) RH kernel should be fine. If you modporbe ne2k-pci, you
>should see 8029 module being loaded too. What errors are you getting?
>What is in /var/log/messages?

A: I am using Debian

Output from commands:
#lsmod
8390                    6320   0

#modprobe ne2k-pci
/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o: insmod ne2k-pci failed

#insmod ne2k-pci.o
ne2k-pci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

>reveals that this module doesn't have any irq/io paramaters, but does
>have a debugging level paramater, so you could try turn that on and you
>should get more info in your logs..

#insmod ne2k-pci.o debug=31
ne2k-pci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

btw the logs reveal nothing at all (besides the module author's name and email addr)

Stefano Rivera