[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: Future conflicts between the Ubuntu and GNOME communities

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Tue Mar 1 15:57:00 SAST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:54, Norman Hooper <norman at kaapstorm.com> wrote:

> >> James Neethling asked why Ubuntu were acting in such a
> >> seemingly
> >> irrational way, creating their own GNOME-competitor simply because GNOME
> >> disagreed with them on a few basic UI points...
> >
> > I'd love to have heard Mark Shuttleworth's take on this (as I'm sure
> would
> > others). Does anyone feel comfortable enough to provide a general
> synopsis?
>
> Yes, can I second this?

I guess nobody else is going to step up and answer this.  I'll try and
remember what Mark said, and hopefully others who were there will fill in
and/or correct me.

As far as I could make out, there was a lot of discussion about how
GNOME-shell should look and behave, and how it should interact with the rest
of the desktop (notifications and indicators and the like), and Canonical
was heavily involved in the discussions, and made a couple of their
requirements (based on their human-interaction guidelines etc) known.
 However, these requirements were apparently all but ignored by certain core
members of GNOME, who preferred to move the project in the direction that
they considered to be more "GNOMEy".  When Canonical realized that
GNOME-shell would need almost as much work to be patched for their HIG as a
rewrite would require, they decided to go with Unity, which they could craft
in exactly they way they wanted.

In answer to "but GNOME-shell and Unity are almost identical as far as we
can see, apart from a few very minor aspects", Mark said that the parallel
development of the two projects meant that they heavily influenced each
other, and that GNOME-shell wouldn't look like it currently did if it
weren't for Unity.

(There was also a bunch of stuff about the Banshee amazon affiliate deal and
so on. I have a truly marvelous description of this, which this margin is
too narrow to contain.)

-Jonathan